Friday 11 January 2013

‘What I’m going through is another form of rape’





Rapper Yo Yo Honey Singh is in the eye of a storm ever since it was alleged that some of his songs glorify sexual abuse against women. He now claims that both those songs — Main Hoon Ek Balatkari and Ch*** are not his and that he is being victimised by his rivals to cut-short his rising career.

The ‘rape rap’ songs with highly offensive lyrics are a few years old but came under the scanner in the backdrop of the brutal Delhi gangrape. Shaken and nonplussed, Honey Singh didn’t know what hit him when on Monday, hours before the new year was ushered in, he was targetted for the allegedly anti-woman misogynist songs. Subsequently, his New Year concert in Gurgaon was called off under pressure from activists.

“I swear on my music, I’ve neither written nor sung those offensive songs. I’d never dream of singing a song in praise of rape. I completely disown both these obscene numbers. The thought is nauseating to me. I’d rather give up singing than attain popularity in such cheap and cheesy ways,” he says in defence, and adds, “I respect women. What I am going through is another form of rape.”

Singh, in fact, claims that the songs have been posted on popular Internet sites by an imposter.

“My lawyers are trying to find out who’s doing this to malign me. I’ve sent notices to Youtube and other websites which have uploaded the offensive numbers. I’m being targetted for a rape of another kind altogether. What’s being done to me is among the lowest of violation of human dignity,” he says.

Adding that the smear campaign is an act by jealous rivals, he says, “They can’t bear to see a villager from Hoshiarpur like me become so successful. I’m a village boy who has gone international. Other... haven’t been able to achieve the same. They are unhappy with my success,” he said.

Calling the timing of the tirade against him highly suspicious he says, “Just when the country is reeling under the impact of the ghastly rape, a song about rape is being attributed to me. If music could actually cause damage shouldn’t songs like Bande Mataram and Ae mere watan ke logon prevent Indians from hurting fellow-human beings?” Apparently his family has also questioned him for his disturbing songs.

“I come from a business family. I rebelled to become a musician. Now after hearing of these filthy songs, my father called me up to ask, ‘Beta, did you take to music to do this kind of thing?’ I’d never shame my family, my country, the women of my country and myself,” he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment